Cold String Beans with Vodka Vinaigrette
- 1 pound string beans, trimmed, or 1 pound asparagus, peeled and trimmed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Georgian or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Polish vodka
- 1 tablespoon sumakh, see note
- Salt and pepper
- 2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped, optional
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced, optional
- Note: edible ground sumakh is available from Mid-Eastern or Russian markets or spice shop
Blanch and refresh string beans in salted water.
In 1 tablespoon olive oil taken from the 1/2 cup, caramelize the minced shallot.
Put shallot, mustard, vinegar, and vodka in a blender. Slowly drizzle in the remaining oil. Mix in sumakh, salt, and pepper. Serve over string beans (or asparagus).
Optional: Garnish with a little chopped hard boiled egg and/or finely diced red bell pepper.
Recipe courtesy Wayne Harley Brachman