- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
In a small saucepan, combine the bay leaf, vinegar, sugar, hot pepper sauce, and garlic, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Remove the bay leaf. Whisk in the toasted caraway seeds, mustard and vegetable oil until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the cabbage and onion in a large bowl, pour the dressing over, and toss to coat evenly. Adjust the seasonings, cover and refrigerate overnight.