- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 stick butter, chilled and diced
- 1/4 cup hard cheese, grated
- About 1/3 cup buttermilk or fresh milk soured with lemon juice
Rub the flour and butter together in a bowl until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Stir in the cheese and add enough liquid to make a soft, pliable dough. Transfer to a floured board, and knead it lightly. Roll and cut out scones. I like to use a fairly large octagonal cutter. Bake at 400 degrees in a preheated oven for about 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut a thin slice from the top of each scone, and then hollow out the center, leaving a case for you to fill with Coronation Chicken.
Coronation Chicken Salad:
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 ripe honeydew or other sweet melon, diced small
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed and diced
- 4 tablespoons home-made mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mild Indian curry paste
- Fresh basil or mint
Poach, grill or steam the chicken for 8 minutes. When cool enough to handle, dice and mix with the melon and celery, then fold in the mayonnaise and curry paste. Spoon into the scones, decorate with basil or mint, and serve.