- 3/4 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1/2 pound mixed seafood (choose from firm white fish fillets, scallops and shrimp)
- 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- 2 six inch metal strainers
- Cooking oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until tender yet crisp; about 2 minutes. Drain.
Cut seafood and chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Coat both with cornstarch, egg white, salt and pepper.
Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add ginger and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add seafood, chicken and green onions and stir fry for 1 minute. Add broth, oyster sauce, and fish sauce and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Add asparagus and toss to mix.
To make basket, heat cooking oil in a wok for deep frying to about 30 degrees F. Rinse shredded potato under cold running water; squeeze well to remove as much moisture as possible and pat dry with paper towels. Toss potato with cornstarch. Dip strainers into hot oil to coat them. Line one strainer with potato to a thickness of about 3/8 inch. Nest second strainer on top, and immerse strainers in oil. Deep fry until golden brown. Remove potato from the basket and drain on paper towels. Fill immediately with seafood mixture.