- 1/2 pound thin egg noodles such as angel hair or spaghettini
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups minced scallion greens
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, add the noodles, and cook about 5 to 6 minutes, or until near-tender, drain in a colander, rinse lightly to remove the starch, and drain again thoroughly in a colander. Arrange the cooked noodles in the bottom of a large serving bowl.
Arrange the carrots, bean sprouts, and minced scallion greens in separate concentric circles on top of the noodles. Spoon the Spicy Sesame Dressing on top or serve on the side.
Spicy Sesame Dressing:
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 one-inch square knobs fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper or dried chile flakes
- 6 tablespoons Chinese toasted sesame paste, mixed well before adding (Available at Asian markets. You cannot substitute tahini paste.)
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine or sake
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons chicken broth or water
Drop the seasonings of the Spicy Sesame Dressing in descending order into the feed tube of a food processor fitted with a steel blade while the machine is running. Mix together to a smooth sauce- it should be the consistency of heavy cream.