- 2 cups water, plus 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 8 1/2 ounces extra-bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Serving Suggestions: Candied Kumquats, recipe follows
In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water and the sugar and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the cocoa powder, whisking until smooth. Cook the mixture at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes, until syrupy.
Put the chocolate in a large bowl and add half the cocoa syrup, whisking until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining syrup and 2 cups water and whisk well. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and let cool.
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups washed and sliced kumquats
In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the kumquats, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 6 minutes, or until the kumquats appear translucent. Drain well before serving. The kumquats will keep, refrigerated, for several weeks.
Yield: about 2 cups