- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts or a combination
- 1 cup plain yogurt (whole-milk or 2%)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, dry-roasted, crumbled to a powder, and dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried mint (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cut the chicken into small pieces, 1/2-inch cubes or smaller, discarding any fat or tough connective tissue.
Combine the yogurt with the remaining marinade ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Place the chicken pieces in a shallow bowl, pour the marinade over, and stir to ensure that all the chicken is well coated. Let stand, refrigerated, for at least 3 hours or as long as 24 hours.
Preheat a charcoal or gas grill or a broiler.
Thread the chicken pieces onto metal skewers. Place only a few pieces of chicken on each skewer, and don't cram the pieces together tightly. (if they are packed together, rather than just lightly touching, they will not cook evenly.)