- 1 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 (6-ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Pour boiling water into a large glass measuring cup. Stir in the oats. Place the chocolate morsels over the top of the oatmeal -- do not stir!, Let stand for 20 minutes until the oats are soft and the chocolate is melted.
Transfer the batter to a greased and floured baking pan (13 by 9 by 2-inches). Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until the cake starts to leave the sides of the pan and springs back at the touch of a finger. Cool 10 minutes in pan, shake loose, and turn out on rack to cool completely. Frost and decorate if desired.
- COFFEE FROSTING
- 1 teaspoon freeze-dried instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups or more sifted confectioners' sugar
In a custard cup, dissolve the instant coffee in the milk or cream. In a bowl, cream butter until light, add vanilla, salt and gradually blend in sifted confectioners' sugar with the coffee-milk mixture. Use enough sugar for a good spreading consistency.