For the crust:
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 fresh horseradish, peeled and grated
- 2 cups dried plain bread crumbs
To make the crust. In a food processor, combine the butter and horseradish. Process until mixture comes together. Add the bread crumbs in a stream and process until combined well. Transfer to a sheet of plastic, cover with another sheet of plastic and smooth into a thin layer and . Chill.
- 1 (3 pound) salmon fillet
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Cut the salmon fillet into 4 portions and season with salt and pepper. In a saute pan, over moderately high heat cook the butter and oil until hot and add the salmon. Sear both sides. Divide crust among salmon fillets and transfer to oven. Bake for 5 minutes.
Arrange cucumbers on a serving plate, top with the salmon, surround with sauce and sprinkle with chives.
For the cucumbers:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 shallots, minced
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 2 small bunches fresh dill, trimmed and snipped
- 1 bunch fresh chives, snipped
To make the cucumbers: In a skillet set over moderate heat melt the butter, add the shallots and cook, stirring, until softened. Add the cucumbers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until just tender. Add the dill and chives.