- 2 cups fresh or frozen baby lima beans
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Country-style bread, cut into small pieces
Combine lima beans, garlic, and 1/2 cup salted water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until beans are very soft, about 15 minutes
Coarsely puree beans and garlic in a food processor. Transfer to a small bowl and gradually beat in olive oil. Remove zest from lemon with a zester (or use a vegetable peeler, then finely julienne zest). Add lemon juice to taste, then season with salt and pepper. Serve in a small bowl with country-style bread on the side -- or toast the bread and top with lima mash, drizzle with a little olive oil and top with additional lemon zest.