- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces fresh porcini mushrooms (approximately 3 medium mushrooms)
- 18 spears medium asparagus, blanched
- 18 spring (pearl) onions, peeled and blanched
- 12 ramps or baby leeks, blanched (optional)
- 2 cups loosely packed pea shoots
- 3/4 cup fava beans, shelled, blanched and peeled
- 3/4 cup fresh peas, shelled and blanched
White Truffle-Oil Vinaigrette:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh chervil
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 8 grinds of a pepper mill
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white truffle-oil (substitute: extra virgin olive oil or herb-flavored oil)
Tuiles: Place a 12-inch non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan on the bottom of the pan. As it starts to melt, use a spatula to form it into three 2 by 5-inch strips. When the cheese starts to bubble and turn golden brown, remove the pan from the heat. Let cool for 4 to 5 minutes; the strips should be pliable. Pick up one end of a strip with a pair of tongs and lay it across the bottom of an overturned bowl or across a wide cylinder so that the tuile hardens into an arc. Set aside and repeat the process with the other strips. Repeat the entire process with the remaining cheese. (Yields 9 Tuiles) White Truffle-Oil Vinaigrette: Blend all the vinaigrette ingredients except their oils in a 2-quart stainless steel bowl. Whisk in the olive and white truffle oils in a slow, steady stream until it is all incorporated and the sauce emulsifies.
Salad: Remove the mushroom caps from their stems. Clean the tops with a damp cloth or towel. Peel the stem using a vegetable peeler; discard the scraps. Slice the mushrooms as thinly as possible, and place in a 2-quart stainless steel bowl. Add the remaining vegetables. Add the vinaigrette and toss well.
To serve: Divide the salad among 6 chilled plates. Stand a Parmesan tuile over each salad. Handle gently and serve immediately.