- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Multi-colored nonpareils, optional
- 3 cookie sheets or jelly roll pans covered with parchment paper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set racks in upper and lower thirds.
For the dough, combine the flour and baking powder, stirring well to mix. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then whisk in all the remaining ingredients in order. Fold in the flour mixture.
Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead lightly to mix. Separate into 16 equal pieces. Roll each to an 8-inch rope, then into a circle. Place 5 or 6 on each pan.
Bake the taralli about 30 to 40 minutes, or until well puffed and deep golden. Cool on racks.