To poach A Whole Turkey Breast:
- One 5 1/2 to 6 pound whole turkey breast with skin and bone
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
In a deep kettle combine the turkey breast with enough cold water to cover it by 1 inch and remove the turkey breast. To the kettle add the onions, the carrots, the bay leaves, the peppercorns, and the vinegar, bring the mixture to a boil, and add salt to taste. Return the turkey breast to the kettle and poach it, covered, for 30 minutes, and drain it, discarding the other solids.
- 6 bacon slices
- 1/2 pound poached turkey breast
- 4 slices pain de mie or other firm white sandwich bread (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 ounces blue cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 firm-ripe California avocado
- 4 small crisp lettuce leaves (romaine)
In a skillet cook bacon over moderate heat until crisp and transfer to paper towels to drain. Toast bread and spread 2 slices with blue cheese and remaining 2 slices with mayonnaise. Thinly slice turkey diagonally. Pit and peel avocado and thinly slice. Divide turkey, bacon, avocado, and lettuce between blue-cheese bread slices and top with remaining 2 slices.