- 1/4 pound medium raw shrimp, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup diced cooked ham
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped water chestnuts
- 1 can (16 ounce) cream style corn
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/3 cup water
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt to taste
Place broth in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add shrimp, ham, water, chestnuts, and corn. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until soup boils and thickens slightly. Turn off heat. Add egg whites, stirring until they form long threads.
Stir in green onion, sesame oil, pepper and salt, to taste.