- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise made with olive or soybean oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 pecan halves, broken into pieces
- 4 celery stalks, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 small red apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Several romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
Combine the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a medium-size bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toast the pecans in a toaster oven for 1 minute, or until brown to bring out their flavor. Be careful-they burn easily. Toss the celery, apple and pecans in the mayonnaise mixture. Place lettuce leaves on 4 plates and spoon the salad onto the leaves to serve.
Open-Faced Roast Beef Sandwich:
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound sliced lean roast beef
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
Spread the bread with mustard. Divide the roast beef between each slice of bread. Top with the tomato slices. Serve any extra tomato slices on the side.
Fresh Berry Yogurt:
- 2 cups light fruit-flavored yogurt
Divide yogurt between 4 dessert bowls.