For the pudding:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
- 5 egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces (327 grams) bittersweet chocolate
- 4 cups diced brioche or Pullman loaf
- Whipped cream, as an accompaniment
- Chocolate Sauce, recipe follows
- Fresh raspberries, as an accompaniment
- Mint sprigs, as an accompaniment
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
To make the pudding: In a saucepan add the milk, vanilla, and a 1/4 cup sugar. Heat until just boiling. In a bowl mix yolks, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and salt. Add cream to yolk mixture when cream mixture has reached a boil.
Meanwhile, heat the chocolate in a double-boiler until melted. Place melted chocolate in a large bowl and add warm cream. Mix in diced brioche.
Pour the mixture into 8 (4-ounce) ramekins coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
Unmold and serve warm with whipped cream, chocolate sauce and fresh raspberries and mint sprigs.
- 3/4 cup (175 grams) water
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) cocoa powder
Combine water, cream, sugar, and cocoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Let mixture simmer until liquids thicken. Pass through a fine mesh sieve.