- 1 recipe court bouillon (see recipe)
- 1 (10-ounce) boneless, skinless skate wing
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 5 cups mesclun (baby greens)
- 5 tablespoons vinaigrette (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced coriander leaf
- 1/2 ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
Bring the court bouillon to a boil in a flameproof roasting pan. Season the skate with salt and pepper. Add the skate to the roasting pan and poach until a knife will go easily into the crease between the skate ribs, about 1 minute.
In a bowl, toss the mesclun with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Arrange in a tall mound in the center of 2 dinner plates.
As soon as the skate is cooked, separate it into thin strips, cutting through the natural creases in the fish. Drape the strips over the salad in a circle, as if making a teepee.
Drizzle the skate with the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette. Scatter the coriander and the tomato over all. Serve immediately.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 7 cups cold water
- 1 branch fresh thyme
- 1/2 small leek
- 1 (3-inch) piece peeled carrot
- 1 (3-inch) piece of celery
- 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white peppercorns
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer up to 2 months. Yield: 6 cups