- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground hot red pepper (cayenne)
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 (3-pound) rotisserie chicken (from deli counter), cut up as for frying; or 2 pounds boneless cooked turkey breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 3 cups Al Dente Make-Ahead Rice, reheated, recipe follows
- 3/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
Heat bacon drippings in large, deep skillet over moderate heat 1 minute. Add onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until onion is limp and golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Mix in garlic, curry powder, marjoram, thyme, and cayenne and cook and stir 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, chicken, currants, salt and black pepper; adjust heat so mixture bubbles gently, cover, and cook, stirring now and then, until flavors mingle and chicken is heated through-about 15 minutes. Mix in parsley, taste for salt and pepper, and adjust as needed.
Mound rice in heated, large, deep platter, ladle chicken mixture on top, sprinkle with almonds and serve.
AL DENTE MAKE-AHEAD RICE:
- 2 quarts water
- 4 cups uncooked converted white rice (no substitute)
Bring water to rapid boil in large (4 1/2-quart) heavy saucepan over high heat. Add rice, stir well, then return to rapid bowl. Adjust heat so water stays at gentle but steady ripple and cook uncovered until all water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Do not stir. Fluff rice gently with fork and cool 1 hour. Do not cover. Fluff rice gently again, then spoon lightly-do not pack-into plastic storage containers, snap on lids, label and date. Set in refrigerator or freezer.
To reheat refrigerated or frozen rice, pile rice in large fine sieve, fork lightly to separate, and balance sieve on top of large, heavy saucepan over 2 inches boiling water. Cover loosely with lid or foil and steam just until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes, but times will vary according to amount of rice being reheated and whether it's refrigerated or frozen. Fluff with fork and serve. Yield: 16 cups