Coq au Vin
- 1/2 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/2 inch rectangles
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4pound) chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
- 2 cups fullbodied red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon glace de viande
- Bouquet garni
- 6 sprigs parsley, chopped for garnish
Heat a large casserole or skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until light brown and enough bacon fat has rendered to brown the chicken pieces. Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to skillet and brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Stir in onion, shallots and mushrooms, and saute, stirring occasionally, until vegetables, chicken, and bacon are all well browned, about 5 minutes. Add Cognac and ignite. When flames have died, add wine and cook over high heat until the wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef stock, glace de viande and bouquet garni. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming surface to remove fat.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.