Corned Beef with Cabbage and Beets
- 3 -4 pound piece corned beef
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 3 " pieces
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3" pieces
- 3 turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2 onions quartered
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 4 beets, boiled until tender, peeled and sliced
In large heavy pot, combine corned beef, bay leaves, caraway seeds and peppercorns. Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Remove the meat from the pot and reserve on a plate. Add parsnips, carrots, and turnips and simmer for 20 minutes. If necessary add more water to cover. Add onions and potatoes and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add cabbage and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve the warm, sliced meat with the broth, beets and vegetables.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.