- 2 cups canola oil
- 1/2 pound Maine or Dungeness crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly slices
- 11/2 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or aioli
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- 1 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, divided (preferably Panko)
- 2 Tbs cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beaten egg
In a 10 inch saute pan, heat 1 cup canola oil on high heat. Test readiness with a piece of bread. Turn heat to medium. Check temperature with thermometer - it should read 375 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl, combine crab, onion, scallions, bell pepper, mayonnaise, Tabasco, 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until fully incorporated. Make 3 ounce cakes and dredge in the flour, then egg and the remaining breadcrumbs. Lay the cakes in the oil and pan-fry for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel and season with salt in a mixing bowl.
- Avocado Salsa
- 2 avocado
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoon red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mango Coulis
- 2 mangos
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon confectioner sugar
In a blender combine ingredients and mix until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To serve crab cakes, spoon puree onto the plate in a small pool. Slice the cake in half and lay the bottom portion in the puree. Spoon avocado salsa on top and place the top of the cake on the avocado like a sandwich. Top with a small amount of avocado and garnish with cilantro leaf.