Crab and Goat Cheese Empanadas
- For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound plus 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon, olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 habanero, minced
- 1 pound picked lump crabmeat
- 1 cup soft goats cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mango Chutney, recipe follows
- Mango Chutney:
- 2 mangoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/4 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
Dough: Combine flour, salt, and butter in food processor, run until it becomes a coarse meal. Add all the water and pulse until it forms a dough. Allow to rest for 1/2 hour.
Filling: In a saute pan on medium, heat olive oil and saute onion, garlic, and habanero. In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, making a rough circle about 1/8-inch thick. With a 3-inch diameter cookie cutter, cut circles.
Place about 2 teaspoons of the filling into the center of each circle. Moisten the exposed dough with a finger dipped in water. Fold the empanada in half, press the firmly together, sealing with a fork around the edge. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with Mango Chutney.Mango Chutney:
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook on low for 30 minutes. Add cornstarch if desired to thicken.
Recipe courtesy of Michelle Bernstein