- Total Time:
- 38 min
- 30 min
- 8 min
- 6 servings
- 12 Maryland soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1 pound Maryland blue crabmeat
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, plus 2 cups crab-boil-seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 large egg, beaten, plus 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water
- Vegetable oil
Clean soft-shell crabs, rinse, pat dry and refrigerate. Carefully remove cartilage from crabmeat. Toss the crabmeat gently with bread crumbs. In a separate bowl, mix together mayonnaise, seafood seasoning, cilantro, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and egg. Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into the crabmeat.
Spoon crab filling into the cavity of the soft-shell crabs, under the shell tips. Dip or brush crab in beaten egg, dredge in seasoned bread crumbs.
Heat oil in large saute pan. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the crabs until golden brown on top and bottom. Garnish and serve.
Recipe courtesy Penny Carley