Crab Fritters: Alcapurrias
- 5 green bananas, peeled
- 1 pound taro root, peeled
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- Vegetable oil, for sauteing and frying
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 (10-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper, pureed
- 1 pound crabmeat, cleaned
- Salt and pepper
To make the stuffing, saute onion and pepper in oil for approximately 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until all liquid has evaporated. Add white wine and cook until liquid has evaporated. Add cilantro and chipotle. Season and cool. Add crabmeat.
To make dumplings, grease a small plate and spread 2 tablespoons of the masa over it. Place 1 tablespoon of the stuffing on top of the spread masa, and cover with 2 more tablespoons of the masa mixture. Roll into a cylinder shape, and slide off plate into a skillet with 1 1/2 inches of hot oil. Fry until golden brown and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.