Crab Jicama "Seviche" on Cucumber
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
- Approximately 24 hors d'oeuvre
- 1 small jicama
- 1/4 pound lump crab meat (about 3/4 cup), picked over and flaked
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion greens
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped seeded habanero or jalapeno chili (wear rubber gloves), or to taste
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 ripe California avocado (about 9 ounces)
- 1 seedless cucumber (about 1/2 pound)
Halve avocado, reserving half for another use. In small bowl with a fork mash remaining avocado, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon garlic with salt to taste until smooth. Seviche and avocado mixtures may be made 4 hours ahead and chilled separately, their surfaces covered with plastic wrap.
CORIANDER LIME SHRIMP
3 cups fresh lime juice 1/4 cup orange marmalade 3 large garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup fresh coriander sprigs, washed well, spun dry, and chopped fine 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes 1 pound large (21 to 24 per pound) shrimp, shelled, leaving tail and first shell section intact, and if desired, deveined Garnish: Fresh coriander sprigs COOKING LIVE SHOW #CL8652
In a measuring cup whisk together lime juice, marmalade, garlic paste, coriander, 1 tablespoon oil, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste and reserve 1/4 cup mixture in a small bowl or ramekin for dipping. In a large sealable plastic bag combine shrimp with remaining mixture and marinate, chilled, tossing occasionally to coat shrimp, 45 minutes.
Drain shrimp and lightly pat dry between paper towels. In a large non-stick skillet heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute half of shrimp until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Saute remaining shrimp in remaining 1 teaspoon oil in same manner.
Garnish shrimp with coriander sprigs and serve with reserved dipping sauce.