This recipe takes advantage of traditional holiday dried fruits and nuts. Fresh-baked cornbread really adds to this recipe.
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 6 oz. fresh cornbread cubes
- 6 oz. fresh wheat bread cubes
- 6 oz. fresh sourdough bread cubes
- 2 tsp. sage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, plus 1 2 TBS
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
Saute onion and celery in butter until onion turns dark brown. Add wine 1 Tbs at at time if onion and celery begin to stick to pan. Add sage, salt, pepper, fruit and nuts.
Place mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add any remaining wine, the broth, and melted butter. Gradually add bread crumbs and toss to coat.
Transfer to a 2 1/2 to 3-quart oven-proof covered baking dish, or cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
The recipes for this contest, which were provided by contributors who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.