Cranberry Coconut Bars
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon whole or 2 percent milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange rind
- 1 cup fresh or if unavailable, frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped (if using frozen, chop berries while still frozen)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, sweetened
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and salt and mix well. Gradually add the flour, mixing to combine. Stir in the pecans. Press the mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until browned.
Filling: In a mixer, combine the sugar, flour, and baking powder and mix well. Add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and zest and mix well. Fold in the cranberries, coconut, and pecans. When the crust is baked, remove from the oven and spread the filling over it. Return to the oven and bake an additional 30 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars for serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.