Cranberry Upside-down Cake
- 4 ounces butter, plus 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups fresh or quick frozen cranberries
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Serving suggestion: Whipped cream or ice cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Melt the 4 ounces of butter in a nonstick, ovenproof 9-inch skillet. Add the brown sugar, juice and spices and stir until sugar dissolves and liquid is bubbly. Chill mixture, add the cranberries, and set aside.
In a small pan, melt 8 ounces of butter. Remove from the heat and add the milk and egg. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the milk mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture over the cranberries in the skillet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe courtesy of Tanya Holland