Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 bunch broccoli (1 1/4 pounds), heads cut into florets, stalks trimmed, peeled, and thinly sliced, or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli
- 3 medium-size all-purpose potatoes (1 pound), peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups lowfat (1 percent milkfat) milk
- Salt and pepper
- Optional Garnishes:
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the broccoli, potatoes, nutmeg, and stock and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Adjust the heat so that the mixture simmers gently, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until the broccoli and potatoes are very tender.
In a food processor or blender, working in batches if necessary, process the mixture until pureed. Return the puree to the Dutch oven, stir in the milk, salt, and pepper, and set over moderate heat for 4 minutes or just until heated through.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Cream of Broccoli Soup with Roasted Garlic Crostini, Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup with Cheesy-Garlic Croutons, Cream of Tomato Soup with Fontina, Mushroom, Prosciutto and Truffle Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Baked Ham Recipes, Latin American, Fried Chicken Recipes, Seafood Soup Recipes, Potato Salad Recipes, Beef Tenderloin Recipes