Creamy Kentucky Grits Topped with a Ragout of Local Shiitakes and Thyme, Topped with Kenny's Gouda and Frizzled Leeks
- Creamy Grits:
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup stone-ground grits (recommended: Weisenberger)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Mushroom Ragout:
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons, plus 2 tablespoons
- 8 ounces shiitakes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup leeks, white part only, diced (reserve tops for frying/frizzling)
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups rich demi-glace (chicken or veal)
- 1/4 pound gouda (recommended: Kentucky Farmstead Cheese) can substitute with smoked gouda
- Watercress, for garnish
- Frizzled Leeks, recipe follows
Bring stock and milk to a boil. Turn down to low, and slowly whisk in the grits. Cook, stirring occasionally for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper, and cover (for approximately 15 minutes) while making the ragout.
In a skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of the butter, add the sliced shiitakes and cook slowly, until softened and slightly browned. Add 2 more tablespoons of butter, and then add shallots, leeks, garlic, and thyme. Saute until soft; then add Dijon mustard and demi-glace. Stir in 2 more tablespoons of butter.
Ladle the grits out onto warmed plates, and spoon the ragout over the grits. Top with gouda, grated, and frizzled leeks. Garnish with fresh watercress and serve at once.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representations as to the results.Frizzled Leeks:
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup thin slivers of the green leek tops, washed
Canola oil, to coat pan 1 inch
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.