- 1 pound baby eggplant, sliced in 1/2-inch rounds (substitution: Japanese eggplant)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast, bloomed in 1/2 cup of warm water
- 1 pinch saffron, bloomed in 1 quart water
- 6 cups canola oil
- Herbed Yogurt Sauce, recipe follows
Add eggplant slices to a large bowl and cover with milk.
In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour and chickpea flour. In the center of the flour mixture, make a well and add the egg. Slowly pour in the bloomed yeast and saffron water while mixing with a wooden spoon to make a loose batter. Whisk to remove clumps and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm area for 45 minutes, or until the batter has risen in size.
Heat the oil to 475 degrees F.
Dip the eggplant, 1 slice at a time, in the batter and carefully add to the hot oil. Fry until the batter turns golden and begins to puff up. Remove slices to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve immediately with Herbed Yogurt Sauce for dipping.
Herbed Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
Place the yogurt in a small bowl. Add the lemon zest, garlic, and mint, and gently fold to combine. Set aside.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings