Crispy Macadamia Crusted Ahi Tuna with Kona Coffee Bbq Sauce Purple Potato Puree
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 jalepenos, de-stemmed, roughly chopped
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, strained
- 2 cups strongly brewed Kona coffee
- Pink salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 4 (1/2 pound) pieces ahi tuna, cut into square cubes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely ground
- 1/2 pound salad greens, preferably Hawaiian
- 1 lime, juiced
In a sauce pan coated lightly with canola oil, caramelize the onions, ginger, garlic and jalepenos. Add tomatoes and coffee and bring to a simmer. Using a hand blender, buzz until smooth and check for seasoning, adjust with pink salt and black pepper, to taste.
For the potato puree, boil the potatoes until fork tender. In a sauce pan, reduce the cream with the garlic cloves by 1/3. Hand mash with the potatoes and check and adjust seasoning. Fold in the chives.
Season the tuna well. Dredge the tuna in flour, then eggs, then nuts. Shallow fry in canola oil on all sides. Keep the tuna rare.
Slice the tuna on the bias. On a large plate, sauce the plate with the BBQ sauce. Place a small mound greens down and drizzle with lime juice. Top with mashed potatoes, then top with tuna.
Beverage: Mai Tai