Crispy Snapper with Indonesian Spiced Salt and Garlic Fried Noodles: Mie Goreng
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Szechwan peppercorns, ground
- 2 tablespoons ground Indonesian black peppercorns
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 pounds red snapper, boneless fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound Chinese long beans, cut into 2 inch lengths
- Garlic Fried Noodles, recipe follows
- Basil sprigs, for garnish
- Garlic Fried Noodles:
- 12 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups garlic chives or scallions
- 1/2 cup sambal tomat
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 pound fresh egg noodles, blanched
- 2 Thai bird chiles, minced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 pound water spinach or baby spinach, cleaned
- 1/2 cup opal basil, 1/8 inch ribbon, plus a few sprigs, for garnish
- Salt and black pepper
- Lime wedges, for garnish
Heat a saute pan to very hot and add the salt. Reduce the heat and saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn heat off and add the peppercorns. Mix and let stand.
To make the batter, slowly add cold water to the flour and baking powder to achieve a batter with the consistency of runny pancake batter. Add the snapper to the batter and coat well.
In a wok on high heat, fill with 2 to 3-inches of oil and heat. Add the snapper and deep fry for about 5 minutes, or until fully cooked. Set aside on paper towels. Season with the Indonesian spiced salt. In the same hot oil, quickly flash fry the long beans until brown and crispy.
On a large oval platter, place a large mound of the noodles in the center and top with the snapper and long beans. Garnish with basil sprigs.
Beverage: Stoneleigh Sauvignon BlancGarlic Fried Noodles:
In the same wok the snapper and long beans were cooked in, drain the oil leaving 2 tablespoons. On high heat, stir-fry the garlic until lightly brown, about 2 minutes. Add the chives and sambal tomat. Add the eggs and stir quickly for 20 to 30 seconds. Add the noodles, chiles, tomatoes, water spinach, and basil and cook until the spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper and check for flavor. Serve with lime wedges and opal basil.