- Red Pepper-Mango Vinaigrette
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 small roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Juice of 2 fresh limes
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoon chipotle pepper puree (depending on how spicy you like)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Honey, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth; season with honey, salt and pepper to taste.
Crispy Stone Crab and Squid Salad
- Peanut oil
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups cold water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound baby squid, cut into rings
- 1 1/2 pounds stone crab claws, meat removed and chopped
- 1/2 pound micro greens
- 1/4 pound watercress
- 1 head frisee
- 4 whole cherry peppers, jarred in vinegar, drained and thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Chopped fresh mint, for garnish
Whisk together the flour and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. The mixture should resemble crepe batter; if it is too thick add more water a few tablespoons at a time. Then season with salt and pepper.
Season squid and crab with salt and pepper and working in batches, dip 1/3 of the squid in the rice flour batter and allow the excess to drip off. Fry until lightly golden brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on the paper towel lined plate and season immediately with salt. Repeat with the remaining squid and crab, dipping into the batter then frying in batches.
Place the greens in a bowl and drizzle with about 1/4 cup of the mango-red pepper vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Mound the greens on a platter and place some of the sliced cherry peppers on top. Place the squid and crab around the perimeter of the platter, drizzle all with more of the vinaigrette and garnish with cilantro leaves and chopped mint.