Crostata di Carciofi e Funghi (Tart of Artichoke, Mushroom, and Caciocavalla Cheese)
- 2 1/4 cups of pre-sifted all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 4 medium sized artichokes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock (or substitute water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces Pancetta, diced (1/4-inch size)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 1/2 ounces shredded Caciocavallo cheese (or substitute mozzarella)
Start by making the dough, combining the flour, butter, salt and the water. Lightly mix together, just mixing until the dough comes together, being careful not to overmix. Wrap in plastic and set aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
To make the filling, start by cleaning the artichoke, removing the tough outside leaves and the fuzzy choke from the center. Slice the artichoke 1/4-inch thick, preheat a skillet over moderate-high heat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and saute the artichokes, lightly browning on both sides. Season lightly with salt and pepper and add the wine and stock. Cook until the liquid has evaporated. Remove the artichokes from the pan, put the butter and remaining olive oil in and saute the mushrooms over high heat. Lightly season with salt and pepper, when the mushrooms are lightly brown, remove them from the pan. Add the pancetta until lightly brown, remove from the pan. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, cream, milk, and salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Take a 9-inch springform pan, lightly butter the pan, line the pan with the dough. Fill the pan with the artichokes, mushrooms, pancetta and the caciovallo cheese, pour over the egg/cream mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is set and the pastry is golden brown. You can serve it hot or cold.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.