- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black peppercorns
- 1 6 1/2 to 7 pound crown roast of pork
- Cornbread Hominy Stuffing (see recipe)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 dried Ancho chilies, toasted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
Crush fennel seeds, cumin seeds, salt, garlic, allspice, thyme and peppercorns in mortar and pestle. Fold double thick layer of foil into 4 inch square. Poke 4 small holes in foil. Push foil through roast to bottom to cover opening so stuffing will not fall out later (holes let steam escape). Place roast on rack in large roasting pan. Rub spice mixture over meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place pork in oven and reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Roast pork 1 hour 30 minutes. Fill cavity with enough stuffing to mound in center. Continue roasting until thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 160 degrees F, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil chicken stock until reduced by half. Remove from heat. Add chilies. Cover and let stand until chilies are softened. Puree mixture in processor.
Carefully transfer pork to platter. Add oil to roasting pan and set over medium heat. Add onions and stir until onion is tender. Add flour and stir until golden brown. Gradually add stock, whisk until blended. Boil until thickened to gravy consistency. Stir in honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- CORNBREAD HOMINY STUFFING
- 12 cups crumbled corn bread
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 Poblano chilies, roasted, chopped
- 3 jalapeno chilies, seeded, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups canned hominy, drained
- 1 1/2 cups canned or frozen corn kernels
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Arrange cornbread on baking sheet and bake until slightly dry. Transfer to very large bowl. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, and jalapenos and saute until onion is tender. Add garlic and sautJ 1 minute. Remove from heat. Transfer to bowl with cornbread. Add sage, oregano, cilantro and hominy and stir to blend. Stir in eggs and enough stock to moisten. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Yield: 12 servings