- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups crystallized ginger, run through food processor
- 8 egg whites
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Lime Buttercream, recipe follows
- Micro opal basil, for garnish
- Micro mint, for garnish
- Lime zest, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line mini cupcake pans with 48 mini cupcake liners.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the oil and sugar on high speed until creamy and fully incorporated. Mix in the crystallized ginger until fully incorporated. Add the egg whites and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt in a large bowl. On medium speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla mixture until combined. Do not over-mix. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters of the way and bake for 15 minutes.
To assemble: Using a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe the top of the cupcakes in a dot pattern with Lime Buttercream, creating 6 dots to cover the tops of the cakes. Snip a small cluster from the stem of each branch of the micro herbs. Place the bunches in the center of the icing. Zest fresh lime zest over the cakes to finish off the garnish
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
Place the lime juice and cornstarch in a small pan on the stove. Cook over medium heat, whisking, until the mixture thickens. Transfer the lime curd to a silicone mat and refrigerate until cool, about 5 minutes. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and salt. Add the cooled lime curd. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy.