- 1 (16-ounce) can peas
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms
- 1/2 pound smoked or baked ham cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium yellow onions diced
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white table sugar
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon MSG
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
In a 4-quart saucepan add the can of peas, liquid and all, into warm rice and cover pot so rice will absorb most of pea liquid. Cut mushrooms into 1/4-inch slices and dice ham and onion.
Heat 12-inch frying pan over high heat. Add 1/2 stick of butter. Once the butter melts add mushrooms to pan. Do not stir or turn for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes turn mushrooms and add onion and remaining butter. After 2 more minutes stir once and add ham cubes and olive oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook while stirring constantly for 1 more minute to warm ham. Pour contents of frying pan into pot with rice and peas and then add all spices. Mix well and serve.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.