Cuban Style Salt Cured Beef with Crispy Plantain Chips
- 1 1/2 pounds salt cured beef
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 white onion small diced
- 2 Italian frying peppers, cut into small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 3 cups blended oil, for frying
- 2 green plantains, peeled
Cut the dried cured beef into 2-inch cubes and soak in water overnight.
Change the water and boil the cubes in a large stockpot until tender approximately 45 minutes, making sure that the water is not too salty (change water if necessary). Strain and cool down. Shred the meat and set aside.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil and saute the onions, peppers, and garlic until translucent. Add the tomato sauce, white wine, beef stock, vinegar, and the spices. Add the shredded meat. Cook at low heat for approximately 30 minutes, keeping covered most of the time.