Cucumber Soup with Wasabi-Avocado Cream
- 3 English cucumbers (3 1/2 pound total), peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 ripe California avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (8-ounce) container plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste (or 1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi powder mixed with 1/2 teaspoon water)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups ice cubes
- Garnish: finely chopped fresh chives
Puree cucumbers with water, vinegar, and 2 teaspoons kosher salt in batches in a blender until smooth.
Mash together avocado, lime juice, and remaining teaspoon kosher salt until smooth. Whisk in yogurt, wasabi paste, chives, and pepper, to taste.
Just before serving, blend soup with ice in batches until smooth. Serve topped with avocado cream.
Cooks' note: Soup (before blending with ice) and avocado cream can be made 1 day ahead and kept, separately, chilled and covered.