- 1 1/2 pounds goat leg or mutton shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, 1 sliced into rings, the other finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 24 ounces shredded coconut
- 40 ounces boiling water
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 4 Jamaican peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 5 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 ounces tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 4 ounces sour cream
Place meat in bowl and cover with onion rings. Add green peppers and Worcestershire sauce. Insert garlic and bay leaves in between the meat, season well with salt and pepper and marinate for 3 hours covered, in the refrigerator.
Place coconut in a separate bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 1 hour. Skim off 3/8 cup cream that collects on top.
Heat 1/4 cup clarified butter in a large skillet over high heat. Stir in diced onion and Jamaican peppers and fry. Add curry powder and allspice. Stir and reduce heat to low. Meanwhile, remove marinated meat from bowl and dry very thoroughly on a towel. Reserve vegetables. Pour remaining butter into casserole over high heat and add goat cubes 1 at a time, coating each with butter. Fry until brown. Add reserved vegetables and marinade to onion and pepper pan. To the frying meat, add ketchup, jelly, and coconut cream. Pour vegetable curry into pan with meat, add lime juice, and reduce heat to low, stirring constantly. Cook covered, for 30 minutes, then uncover and cook for 60 minutes more to reduce. Just before service, stir in arrowroot to thicken sauce. To serve, stir in sour cream and serve hot.