- 6 pounds goat stew meat, shoulder cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups onions, sliced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tablespoons curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil, recipe follows
- Cheryl's Hot Sauce, recipe follows, to taste
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
- Cheryl's Hot Sauce:
- 10 whole Scotch bonnet peppers, rinsed and stems removed
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 10 whole pimento seeds
- 1 pound unsalted butter, cut into chunks
Remove meat from marinade. In a large braising pot, over a moderately high heat, brown off meat in 2 tablespoons ghee or oil until golden brown on all sides. When done browning all of the meat, pour excess fat from pot. Add rest of ghee or oil to pot and all of the reserved marinade, some hot sauce and saute for 6 minutes, then return meat to pot with enough water to just cover the meat and bring to a boil. Cover and put the pot in preheated 375-degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes to pot. Return pot to oven and cook for 1/2 hour or until meat is tender.
Simmer sauce over medium heat and uncovered to thicken. Season with salt and more hot sauce if desired. Garnish meat with scallions. This can be served with roti or white rice.Cheryl's Hot Sauce:
Yield: 2 cupsGhee:
Put butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and into a preheated 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Skim foam from top and pour the liquid into a glass jar, leaving behind any milk solids on the bottom of the pot. This is good for 6 months kept in the refrigerator.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Baked Goat Cheese with Pop-Tarts® Crumble, Goat Cheese and Walnut Souffles with Watercress and Frisee Salad, Prosciutto, Fig, and Goat Cheese Quesadillas, Baked Ham Recipes, Leg of Lamb Recipes, Pork Tenderloin Recipes, Fried Chicken Recipes, Pork Shoulder Recipes, Jerk Chicken Recipes