- 6 pounds goat stew meat, shoulder cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tablespoons curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil, plus 4 tablespoons
- Hot pepper sauce
- 3 to 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and large dice
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Remove meat from marinade. In a large braising pot, over a moderately high heat, brown off meat in 2 tablespoons ghee or oil until golden brown on all sides. When done browning all of the meat, pour excess fat from pot. Add the rest of ghee or oil to pot and all of the reserved marinade and some hot sauce and saute for 6 minutes. Then, return meat to pot with enough water to just cover the meat and bring to a boil. Cover and put pot in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Add the potatoes to the pot, return the pot to the oven and cook for anther 1/2 hour, or until meat is tender.
Remove the meat from the pot, place on a platter and cover with aluminum foil. Return the pan to the stove over medium heat and cook until sauce is thickened. Season with salt and additional hot sauce, if desired. Garnish meat with scallions.