- 3 medium beets (about one pound)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon snipped mint
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 tart green apple, diced
- Fresh mint for garnish
Cook whole beets covered, in simmering water for 40-50 minutes until tender. Drain, and cool slightly, remove skin and cut into thin strips.
For dressing: combine oil, vinegar, zest, orange juice, green onion, mint and honey in screwtop jar, shake to combine. Toss half of dressing with beets, chill for 2 to 24 hours.
To serve, combine torn romaine and diced apple in a serving bowl, toss with the rest of the dressing, and top with beets. Garnish with mint.