- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 serrano chilis, seeded, chopped (wear rubber gloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, sliced
- 1 small bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- Salt to taste
Pick over peas and remove small stones and imperfect beans. Place in a bowl and cover with cold water and soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse peas and place in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Drain peas and allow to come to room temperature.
In a large bowl whisk together anchovy paste, lime juice, molasses. Then stir in serrano chilies, chili powder, garlic, coconut. To serve: Mix black-eyed peas with cucumber, scallions, mint leaves and dressing. Add salt to taste. Serve immediately.