- 1-ounce olive oil
- 1/2-ounce chopped Spanish onion, plus 1 medium sized onion, sliced, separated into rings
- 1/2-ounce garlic, minced
- 1-ounce fresh thyme leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 ounces chardonnay
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, strained
- 1-ounce water
- 1 Yukon gold potato, small, peeled, rough chopped
- 1 celery root, small, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 Atlantic salmon fillet (7 ounces), skinless, pin bones removed
- 1-ounce seasoned (salt, pepper, thyme) flour
- 3 asparagus spears, cut in half
- 2 ounces stone-ground cornmeal
- 3 orange segments
The Sauce: Heat pan and add olive oil. Add 1/2-ounce onion, cook until translucent, add 1/4-ounce garlic, and a pinch of thyme, and stir. Add chardonnay, let reduce. Add orange juice, let reduce again (until syrupy). Add 1-ounce of water, strain and reserve.
The Salmon: Dredge salmon in seasoned flour. Place asparagus spears atop the salmon. Wrap the salmon with the onions. Dredge again in cornmeal, deep fry until golden brown and finish in oven.
Place potato mash in center of plate. Lay the salmon atop with asparagus pointing upward. Ladle the reduction around the plate. Garnish with thyme and orange segments.