- 2 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup maple or brown sugar
- 2/3 cup unrefined corn oil
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
In a large bowl sift dry ingredients together. In another bowl mix the brown sugar, corn oil, water, maple syrup, applesauce, cider vinegar and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for 2 minutes.
Bake in floured and oiled 10-inch cake pan at 350 degrees (275 convection) for 30 to 40 minutes.
Cool and frost with Non-dairy German Chocolate Frosting