Cuttlefish with Cabbage: Seppie e Verze
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 very thin slices peeled gingerroot
- 1 small hot chile pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds cuttlefish, cleaned
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 large head green cabbage, about 3 1/2 pounds, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the onion, celery, carrot, parsley, ginger root, and chile pepper and cook over high heat until the vegetables are softened and browned, about 8 minutes. Add the cuttlefish and cook over medium-high heat until it is colored, about 4 minutes, then slowly add the wine. Once the wine comes to a boil, add the cabbage and potatoes and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the cabbage and potatoes are tender.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.