Shrimp Seviche "Xni Pec" (Seviche de Camarones Xni Pec)
- 2 pounds small (41 to 50 per pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined, see Cook's Notes
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- Xni Pec:
- 1 large tomato, seeded, and cut into medium dice (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced Spanish onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chile pepper, see Cook's Notes
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Good quality corn tortilla chips, for serving
When the shrimp are ready, drain them and discard the marinade. Toss with the Xni Pec. Divide among martini glasses or other serving dishes and garnish each with a corn tortilla chip. Pass remaining chips separately.
Cook's Notes: Peeled and deveined shrimp are now available at most markets. You will save a considerable amount of prep time by purchasing "P and D" shrimp instead of those that need to be peeled and deveined.
Choose your chile depending on how much heat you can tolerate. I love heat, so I would go with a habanero chile seeds and all, about the hottest there is, for this. For a milder dish, choose serranos or jalapenos and remove the seeds before chopping.
Recipe courtesy Daisy Martinez, 2008