Spicy Pineapple Vinegar - Vinagre
- 2 ripe pineapples
- 1/2 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon smashed fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 20 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 habanero peppers or chile peppers of choice, stems removed, peppers coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, or as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or as needed
Cut the tops off the pineapples and discard. With a large knife, cut the rind off the pineapples leaving as little pineapple attached as possible. Put the rinds in a pot large enough to hold them comfortably and pour in enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over low to medium heat and cook until the pineapple peel is very tender, about 30 minutes. Add water, if necessary, to keep the rinds submerged.
Strain the pineapple liquid into the jar. If there is not enough liquid to cover the ingredients, add more water to the pineapple and boil for 20 minutes. Taste and add a little more salt and/or a little vinegar, if you think it needs it. You can use it as soon as it cools, but it will get better as it sits.
Recipe courtesy Daisy Martinez